PT462 Spitfire Tr9 Mk IX 253 Sqdn RAF Markings Coded: SW:A
Related Notes by Caz
PT462 a Supermarine Spitfire was built as an HF Mk IX in July 1944 and and delivered directly to 39 Maintenance Unit (MU). The shipped out to the Mediterranean Allied Air Force via 215 MU. Served with 253 Squadron Royal Air Force during 1945 with markings 'SW-A'. Post war, after the disbandment of 253 Squadron, PT462 was transferred to the reconstituted Italian Air Force on 16th February 1947 as 'MM4100'. After a refurbishment in early 1952 the aircraft was acquired by the Israeli Air Force on in April 1952. Initially with the serial '0607' and later '2067'.
After being withdrawn from Israeli service 2067 was donated to a Kibbutz in the Gaza Strip for use in their playground. In the early 1980's the remains were discovered on the Kibbutz tip by Rob Lamplough and sent back to the United Kingdom in May 1983.
Sold to Charles Church in 1985, the decision was made to rebuild the aircraft to flying condition as a two-seat Spitfire trainer version [Spitfire Tr9]. Registered as G-CTIX it flew again on July 25th 1987.
After Charles Church's death PT462 continued to be operated in the UK by Dick Melton Aviation for the next five years. In 1994, PT462 was sold to Bill Goldstein, Jetcap Aviation Corporation, Lakeland, Florida and registered N462JC.
Sold to Anthony Hodgson who had decided to fulfill a long held ambition to own a Spitfire(and who remains the current owner at time of writing) in February 1998. The aircraft was stripped down, shipped back to Britain in a container during the summer and delivered to Duxford. The aircraft was re-assembled by the Aircraft Restoration Company at Duxford under the guidance of John Romain and was successfully test flown on 5th August of that year, reverting to its British registration G-CTIX.
The aircraft is currently based (late 2010) at Anthony's private farm strip in North Wales and is the only Spitfire based in Wales and to celebrate this the aircraft now has a Welsh Dragon Emblem displayed on the tail.
Photographed at Hearndon in Florida outside the Black Shadow Aviations hangar on 19th September 1995 before its eventual relocation back to the UK. Photograph by my friend Bill Sides and republished with his permission.
Display Aircraft UK - Anthony Hodgson's Website
PT462 Spitfire Tr9 Mk IX - City of St Albans Spitfire Squadron Page