MJ627 Spitfire T9 Mk IX in Markings of 441(RCAF)Squadron RAF Coded 9G:P
Related Notes by Caz
MJ627 was built as a Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IX and delivered to 9 Maintenance Unit (MU) on 4th December 1943 and placed in Storage. It entered service with 441 [RCAF] Squadron on 28th September 1944, but after an accident on 9th March 1945, it was stored at 29 MU until July 1950 when it was sold to Vickers.
Vickers converted MJ627 into a T9 trainer and it bore the B-Conditions marking G-15-171 before joining the Irish Air Corps as IAC158 in June 1951. After retirement in 1960 it served as an instructional airframe until it passed to Film Aviation Services late in 1963 and became G-ASOZ the following February. Tim Davies bought it for spares in September 1954, and it was placed in store as spares for MH434 [G-ASJV] .
The aircraft remained stored until 1976, when it was then sold to Maurice Bayliss and registered G-BMSB. It made its first post-restoration flight on November 8th 1993.
MJ627/G-BMSB was damaged in a wheels-up landing at Coventry Airport on April 25th 1998 and was restored by a team of volunteers from the Royal Air Force Battle of Britain Flight. On completion of their sterling efforts and after a test flight in February 2002, the Aircraft was then moved to and operated out of East Kirkby, Lincolnshire (which remains its base at time of writing). MJ627 is painted in the markings of 441 [RCAF] Squadron Royal Air Force Coded 9G:P.
The above Photograph was taken at the RAF Waddington Air Show on 7th July 2006.
For a detailed history see:
SMJ627 Spitfire T9 Mk IX - City of St Albans Spitfire Squadron Page
Spitfire Mk.LFIX (T9) MJ627 - Sons of Damien Website