SM845 Spitfire Mk XVIIIe in the Markings of 32 Squadron RAF Coded GZ:J
Related Notes by Caz
SM845 a Supermarine Spitfire Mk XVIIIe was built in 1945 and delivered to 39 Maintenance Unit (MU) on 30th May 1945 and was then transferred to 46 MU in the December, before being shipped to Karachi, arriving 11th February 1946 for service with South East Asia Air Command on 28th February 1946.
The aircraft was transferred to the Indian Air Force on 31st December 1947 and issued with Serial No. HS687. It served in the Indian Air Force until the late 1950's before being used as a decoy at Kalaikunda air base near Calcutta during the 1970's.
SM845 was one of eight Spitfires recovered by Duxford based Ormonde and Wensley Haydon-Baillie in 1977 and then shipped unrestored to California in 1978. Although over the decade several people owned the Aircraft, it was only partially restored when imported into the United Kingdom in 1988. In 1992 is was moved to Historic Flying Ltd for the restoration to be completed.
SM845 registered as G-BUOS made its first flight from Audley End on 7 July 2000. When photographed in 2006 it was in the Markings of 32 Squadron RAF Coded GZ:J, who operated Spitfire XVIII's in the Far East after the Second World War.
SM845 was sold by Historic Flying Ltd to Biltema at Ängelholm in southern Sweden in 2009 as SE-BIN.
The above Photograph was taken at at Duxford 'Flying Legends' on 8th July 2006.
For a detailed history see:
SM845 Spitfire Mk XVIIIe - City of St Albans Spitfire Squadron Page