XH124 Beverley C1 of 30 Squadron at Blackbushe in 1958
Picture Notes & Links
XH124 had its first flight on April 27th 1957 and was delivered to 30 squadron two months later. In November the Aircraft was detached to Aden for 3 months. 30 Squadron loaned XH124 was loaned to 84 Squadron for 2 months in 1959.
In 1962 the Aircraft was flown to Dishforth from Eastleigh for wing reskinning, after which it resumed operations with 30 Squadron. On the 14th December 1964 the XH124 once again returned to the UK for major work. This time refurbishment and camouflaging at 32 MU.
On completion, instead of returning to 30 Squadron, the Aircraft was briefly assigned to 242 OCU, before moving to 47 Squadron.
When the rapid withdrawal of the Beverley started in 1967, instead of joining its brethren in the scrapping programme, XH124 was placed in store at Abingdon. Reappearing in Public for the Royal Review in June 1968. Following the review, the Aircraft made what was to be its last flight, from Abingdon to Hendon on the 19th June 1968, as it had been selected for eventual display in the Planned RAF Museum.
The eventual fate of XH124 is covered in the Main Album Notes, but suffice to say here, this Aircraft no longer exists, despite being placed in the care of an organisation supposed to ensure its survival!
For more information onThe Blackburn Beverley See: Beverley Main Album Notes:
The Blackburn B-101 Beverley
30 Squadron 47 Squadron 84 Squadron 32 MU and applying Warpaint 242 Operational Conversion Unit
XH124 Scrapped at the RAF Museum
Other sites on the Web of interest:
30 Squadron - MoD Site RAF 30 Squadron - Wikipedia Entry
47 Squadron - MoD Site RAF 47 Squadron - Special Forces Flight RAF 47 Squadron - Wikipedia Entry
RAF 84 Squadron - MoD Site RAF 84 Squadron - Wikipedia Entry
The Beverley Association and Blackburn Beverley - Wikipedia Entry